CARE ADVICE FOR YOUR JEWELLERY
There are many different kinds of jewellery available today in a variety of shapes, sizes, colours, materials, and finishes. One might think all of these different kinds of jewellery require different care, but in actual fact there is a basic set of rules to preserve the beauty of all jewellery items from natural stones to 18K gold and silver.
Heaven Scent’s base material for its perfume jewellery and accessories is stainless steel. This is because it is being used to carry perfume oil and stainless steel is the most durable and rust-resistant of all the metals. It will not corrode and is less susceptible to scratches, dings or dents. It also requires much less maintenance, making it functional and reliable for everyday purposes. However, many of our jewellery items that are made in stainless steel are plated in Sterling Silver and 18K gold. This is to give the finish of fine jewellery. As a result, special care is required as items can tarnish over time.
Heaven Scent also uses natural stones in its jewellery items. Some of these stones can be fragile and need special care as they are porous, which means they can absorb moisture and chemicals which can damage the items over time.
If you follow the basic care instructions below, you can ensure long lasting satisfaction with your Heaven Scent jewellery item.
Basic care advice for all Heaven Scent jewellery items
- Avoid getting perfume oil directly on the item, as over time it can corrode the plating. However, our perfume oil does not contain alcohol, so it is less likely to tarnish items than standard shop bought perfumes.
- Each perfume pendant has a glass vial inside which has a securely fitting cap. Therefore, if you are careful when taking the vial in and out of the pendant, there should be no reason for perfume oil to come into contact with the metal.
- Jewellery should also be prevented from coming into contact with water, lotions and other cosmetics.
- Also, jewellery must be removed before performing household tasks, such as cleaning, as cleaning solutions can be very abrasive and can immediately tarnish items.
- Be careful not to knock or hit your jewellery against solid objects as this can damage the metal and loosen stones.
- Avoid wearing jewellery when doing sports etc and do not wear whilst swimming. Also do not wear your Heaven Scent jewellery items on the beach or at the pool, unless you see that an item has been labelled as beach or pool safe. Even if an item has been labelled as beach/pool safe, we would still not recommend you wear it swimming.
- Do not wear jewellery whilst sleeping.
Cleaning instructions for your Heaven Scent jewellery items
You should consider cleaning your jewellery a few times a year, or when the jewellery is starting to look like there is ingrained dust or dirt on it. It really does depend on how much you wear it. We recommend the safest method for cleaning all our jewellery items is soap and water. You can follow the basic instructions below:
- Try to clean each item individually rather than a number of items together.
- Fill a container with warm water and add a small amount of mild dishwashing liquid.
- Put your jewellery item in a colander (plastic), and either:
- Dip the colander several times into the container with warm water and dishwashing liquid.
- Or soak your item in the colander in the warm soapy water for around 10 minutes, which should suffice to loosen any residue or dirt.
- Then thoroughly, but gently, brush the top, sides and bottom of the piece with a soft brush to remove the softened residue. Don’t brush too hard, or you might scratch the surface.
- Rinse the item with clean water.
- After rinsing, leave to dry on a towel. Once the item is completely dry, you can gently polish it, using a polishing cloth. Do not polish or rub too hard as this can remove the plating.
- Make sure the item is very dry before storing it.
- When storing your jewellery, you should give each piece its own space. Metal can scratch or scuff other metal. For this reason, protect each piece by storing in cotton bags or other pouches with soft material.
- If you prefer to keep all your jewellery together in one big jewellery box, make sure the jewellery box is padded and place each piece is stored in its own pouch.
- Always store your jewellery at normal/dry room temperature. Never store your jewellery items in bathrooms or other humid areas as this will increase the chances of it tarnishing.